"Picketed Point" (above) was the commercial part of the Marietta settlement built at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers. The prominent building on the corner is Dudley Woodbridge's store.
Just across the Muskingum, Fort Harmar looked out over the Ohio River; its original purpose was to evict squatters and protect the Indians from the settlers.
Descriptions and measurements of the fort found in letters and documents allowed for a much more realistic re-creation of how it actually looked.
View of the fort from the river (left).
On the right is a view from inside the walls of the fort. The lookout box was above the front gate and overlooked the confluence of the rivers.
Above we see Campus Martius still under construction during the first winter of 1788-89.
Campus Martius was built about a mile up the Muskingum River. Below we see what a magnificent sight it made for those passing by on the river.
Individually owned houses made up the “curtain walls” of the fort, making it an early “condominium” of sorts.
Fort Frye, near Waterford, was rushed to completion beginning the January morning after the Big Bottom Massacre. It was finished with only three sides because it was quicker to build that way.
Farmer's Castle was one of three stockades built in Belle Prairie (Belpre). It was situated across from the middle of Backus' Island (today's Blennerhassett Island). Devoll's floating mill is anchored in the river.
© 2003 - 2015 Shelburne Films -- Reedsville, Ohio 45772 -- All images copyrighted & all rights reserved